Thorough research is crucial when considering an IT service provider for your business’s cyber security needs. It helps you make informed decisions that align with your unique requirements and security objectives. Ensure you have a clear understanding of the specific tasks and services you want them to perform before finalising any arrangements. It helps you make informed decisions that align with your unique requirements and security objectives. This will enable you to find a provider with the relevant expertise and capabilities to fulfil your exact needs effectively.
According to Certnz, when outsourcing IT requirements, including security, here are several factors that needs consideration:
1. Cost: This is one of the top factors for any business before tapping into any IT service provider. Assess the value for money and whether the provider’s services fit within your budget. The cost of having an IT service provider look after your cyber security requirements is minimal compared to the cost when an attack happens.
2. Location: Decide whether you prefer a local provider like Focus Technology which has 7 branches around South Island (Invercargill, Gore, Queenstown, Wanaka, Timaru, Dunedin, and Christchurch) or are open to working with one based in a different location.
3. Legal and contracts: Understand the contract terms and agreements between you and the chosen provider. Clarify any questions at the onset to avoid any issues in the long run.
4. Security: By ensuring that the IT service provider meets your cyber security policy’s expectations or assists you in complying with basic security controls, you can enhance the overall security posture of your business. This reduces the risk of potential cyber incidents, data breaches, and other security-related issues that could have severe consequences for your organisation’s reputation, financial stability, and customer trust. Securing transparent communication with your service provider regarding the required services, all the while safeguarding the integrity of your existing systems.
5. Scope: Define the breadth and specifics of the services needed from the IT provider. By setting the scope, alignment between you and the provider is achieved, ensuring a clear understanding of deliverables. Engage in a brief conversation concerning the IT provider’s expertise within their domain or industry, and instances of their successful resolutions of specific IT challenges. This will assist you in gaining confidence in the type of service they are poised to offer your business.
It’s essential as a business owner to weigh up each consideration against your IT needs, with particular attention to security.
Avoid making assumptions about the provider’s services and hold them accountable by having detailed discussions before contracting. Conducting a cyber security risk assessment such as Focus Technology’s Touchpoint Cyber Security Assessment can help identify vulnerabilities and the data/systems requiring attention and protection.
Thorough research, clear rules, and risk awareness ensure an informed choice for your cyber security technology service provider.
At Focus Technology, we go beyond providing standard IT services. Our comprehensive range of products, services, and support alongside our expertise caters to organisations of all sizes and types. If you have any inquiries or need assistance, feel free to reach out to us. We are here to help, anytime.